PlayTunes Curriculum Overview
A better way to practice.
Each day of practice contains the following exercise types:
Tunes: Many well-known tunes, songs of the world, and a few original compositions.
2. Long Tones: Animated, great for kids, blow up a balloon with your air! Gradually get longer.
3. Long Tone PR: Play as long as you can! Set your record.
4. Rhythm Party: Clapping exercise to isolate rhythmic concepts, and give your chops a quick rest.
5. Rhythm Prep: Play a tune on one note, building toward both changing rhythm and pitch.
6. Lip Slurs (for brass only; for clarinets, we have register exercises, etc.)
7. Scale Skills - Major and Minor, 10 scales overall.
8. Intervals - 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, in progressive leaps.
Example: Level 7, Day 1
(5 days each Level)
Animated Long Tone 18: B3, C4, D4, E4, F4, G4, A4 - 3 Seconds Each
2. Lip Slur 3
3. Lip Slur 4
4. Rhythm Prep for Tune 25
5. Tune 25
6. Rhythm Party 15
7. Rhythm Prep for Tune 26
8. Tune 26
9. Rhythm Party 16
10. Long Tone 20: Timed PR - A4
11. Tune 27
12. Rhythm Prep 28
13. Tune 28
14. Tune 29
These exercises happen on Day 1, Day 3, and Day 5. Days 2 and 4 Mix up exercises from former Levels.